The mecha & pharma kit.
- Tools : Leatherman squirt PS4 + Union spoke key and cassette locking tool + SKS multi tool
- Spare brake cable + derailleur cable
- Spare bolts, screws…
- 2 spare Schwalbe tubes
- Puncture kit
- Dry oil
- Pump Topeak mini morph
- 2x2 spare spokes
- Duck tape
The mechanic kit, what about it :
- I think it's all based on simple facts. The only problem I'm able to solve on the side of the road is small and basic problem. For which I don't need much tools.
- If it gets more serious, I'll probably need more than what I can bring in my bike anyway.
- So, except a few exceptions who could very unlikely happen, I want to make the kit as light and compact as possible.
- Also, I consider my experience and where I cycle through. Most of the time, is a village or a city nearby. And all of them, almost, have a small bike/scooter shop who can fix bigger problems.
- I have a very basic locker. To make a long story short, I got an article describing my choice in the blog part of this site.
- If I need to move further for some spare parts or to weld something, I keep in mind that a bike is easily dumpable on a bus, train or pickup.
- Is no problem if I can't find a solution.
- I love the leatherman. Small and light, but solved already a couple of issues.
- A multi tool is good in a way, but I use half of the tools. So I might try to find a solution in the future.
- Spare cables are not necessary but well, easy to pack so I keep it in case.
- Tubes are wrapped in plastic because I try to store them out of bags like strapped on the frame.
- Electrical tape is a basic thing but again, can solve quit a few problems.
- A good pump is an important point to me. Can't complain of mine, good enough !
What might change :
I'm actually quit satisfy of my kit. It's minimalistic but I don't need much.
The only point would be the multitool would turn to be half useless as I don't use half of the tools in.
- Pills : Paracetamol + Tiorfan + Ibuprofene + Micropur strong
- Desinfectant : Biseptine mini
- Good ol' already opened bandage
- 2 oral rehydration salt
- Emergency blanket
- Steril compresses
- Good ol' pads
The medical kit, what about it :
- Well, it's very very basic. I had much more things at the beggining and just gave away lot of it.
- I'm almost never sick. So what I need is clearly just very basic first aid stuff.
- Well, the only thing I use to face is hangover.
- I use to carry some large spectrum antibiotics as well but I'm out of any atm. I might get some more before heading back to deep asia.
- I'm a nurse so I know how to deal with basic needs.
- Means I also now I can't face alone most of the problem I can encounter. Basic first medication based on my diagnostic, and if it's getting worse, I need to see a doctor anyway.
- And based on my experience on the road, I also know that it's quit easy to find a clinic, hospital or dispensary pretty much everywhere.
- Well, not in remote area. But anyway, what do you think you'll do with a complete first aid kit if you break your leg in the middle of fck nowhere ?
- I pray my own serie of gods to wish myself a good health.